I’ve got to tell you that lately I’ve passed on some big purchases because the launch was ALL video.
I’m starting to think that I’m weird, but I just don’t have time for a “20 minute – this will change your life” or, heaven forbid, a “90 minute presentation”. All of the videos add up to a whole lotta time with me sitting on my bottom. (Not what I signed up for.) 😉
My husband laughs at me about it. He’ll walk by my office and see me scowling and ask “What’s up, Nik”?
I look at him and mumble (still scowling) “Another stupid video!” and he laughs. He knows that I have the patience of a gnat.
Here’s why I don’t get the whole video launch thing…
1. I’m a visual, not auditory learner. Depending on the source you ask, it is said that between 40 and 70% of the population is. So, unless the video actually has something on the screen other than your head, it’s not helping me to learn.
2. I’m a *very* quick reader. Videos are ssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww. I’m trying to figure out a way to watch them at twice speed so that they don’t take up so darned much of my time. I don’t even care if the presenter sounds like a chipmunk. Just SPEED it up. Anyone have a source?
3. Ebooks can be skimmed. I can look at chapters and figure out what sections are most applicable to me, and pass by the others. With a 90 minute video of your head — obviously it makes it hard to find the sections that I’m interested in, based upon your facial expression.
4. People that are hard of hearing, or deaf, have cash, too.
5. If I have to decide between 90 minutes sitting on my butt in front of this screen or going on a bike ride with my mom — you lose.
6. I, like many entrepreneurs, have learned that multi-tasking, in fact, makes you LOSE IQ points. (I can find the research if you need me to.) So, if I’m to sit and watch the video, it stops all forward progress in my business until it’s done. Either that or I can multi-task and lose brain cells. (I can’t afford to!) lol.
So, seriously, I’m not trying to be ornery, but I am starting to feel that way. All these awesome product launches and I’m unsubbing one by one because they’re solely video. What’s up? Have cash, will spend — but I’m not wasting my time watching videos of you talking about how much I need your products.
I’m also interested in how many “successful” internet marketers actually watch these videos? It seems like a colossal waste of time when all you have to do is three things to make money online – 1. list, 2. traffic, 3. offers (as taught by Jimmy D. Brown).
Now, before I get bashed, I do understand marketing with YouTube.com but that’s in 5-10 minute snippets and I get that it’s popular and can build relationships, warm you to your market, get traffic and presell. But, the 20-90 minute webinars, videos, even teleseminars — I mean, really, when do you actually DO the things that you’re taught if you’re watching all the prelaunch stuff…. Because unless you’re doing, you’re not making money.
On that note… I’m off to “do” some more. Would love your comments. I’m honestly wondering if I’m the minority. The video must work as the products are selling out. I just wonder if the people who are buying are actually making money or just off to watch more and buy more?
My 2 cents,