One very useful method of marketing is commenting (or interacting) on popular blogs in your niche. You simply find a few blogs that have the readers that you want, and start leaving helpful comments on the new posts.
Benefits of Commenting on Blogs:
Leaving comments on blogs is a worthwhile activity as it provides several great benefits:
– You can get more incoming links to your blogs, which the search engines love.
– You can get the readers of the blog to click through your links, which is always good.
– You can get the attention of the blog owner, which can help you to network with him/her in the future.
Of course, we don’t want to run around willy nilly spamming blogs with our marketing message. As we’ve discussed, there is certain Blog Commenting Etiquette that applies, too.
Selecting Which Blogs are Comment-Worthy:
If you’re in the internet marketing or affiliate marketing niche, you’re in luck as I have a shortcut. My good friend, Doug Champigny posted 20 Must Follow Blogs for Internet Marketers in 2010 this month.
Imagine my surprise when I realized my blog was listed. I was, of course, honored to be on the list, but I also liked how he grouped the blogs by certain criteria (as you’ll see below). I asked him if I could reprint the list here with my 2 cents added. Of course, being the great guy he is (and knowing the value of getting free exposure) he said that would be just fine.
But before I give you the list, I have to make an important point.
We are all limited in time. Obviously. In number of hours per day and number of days on this earth. I teach how to be efficient and effective marketers, so it would be hypocritical of me to tell you to comment on all of the blogs listed below every day… unless you really wanted to and enjoyed it. 🙂 Therefore, I recommend choosing just a few of your favorites and keeping up with them. Try to be one of the first to comment when a new post is published so that all of the other commenters have to pass yours to leave their remarks.
ok, so which to choose? The blogs are grouped below as follows:
|Group||Is “DO follow” Installed?
||Is Comment Luv Installed?
In case you’re new to the concept of “Do Follow” – it’s a good thing. 🙂 However, I wouldn’t recommend deciding whether or not to comment on a blog that you love based on whether or not it has “do follow”.
The same with Comment Luv. While it’s a nice plugin, I would recommend that you link to deep posts in your blog when leaving comments anyway, not just to your main URL.
So, here’s Doug’s list, and it will be followed by my additional thoughts.
Group One (Do Follow & Have Comment Luv):
- Blog: Captain Affiliate Affiliate Marketing Training
- Blog Author: Doug Champigny
- PageRank:* PR2
- Sample Post
Group Two (DO Follow, No Comment Luv):
Group Three (No Follow & No Comment Luv):
Well, you may or may not be surprised, but I would recommend ignoring the groupings entirely and choose a handful of the blogs above to comment on regularly based upon MY criteria.
– Relevance to your market. If you’re a copywriter, then choose the blogs above that are most likely to attract your perfect client.
– Voice and personality of the blogger. For instance, there are a few bloggers who I wish I could understand, but their communication style is just not in sync with mine. I honestly can’t enjoy their writing because the discussions there get way too deep. (I’d rather be making money than analyzing some minuscule details about making money.) I know… there I go with the common sense, again. 😉
– Ethics & Philosophy of both the blogger and the readers. Many marketers recommend products that I just can’t endorse. Obviously I wouldn’t hang out on those blogs and discuss my opinion when it would just make me look like a trouble-causer. Plus, I want to find blogs where I like the commenters. Certain people just attract good people. Those are the ones I want my name both in front of and alongside.
– JV partners and networking. I’d rather comment on blogs that are run by people that I have met in person. It’s a great way to stay in front of people who you’d like to build your relationship with.
– Attitude. Where do you ENJOY commenting? I don’t give a monkey’s butt whether the blog has Comment Luv or not. If it’s got the eye of your potential clients and you enjoy the discussions at hand, that’s where I’d recommend spending your time.
Yes, I’m all about the SEO, but I’m more about enjoying my days. And, on that note, I sure hope you’ll continue to read – and comment here.
Have a great week!
PS. Please leave a comment! 🙂