Happy Friday! 🙂
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I’ve been in a business funk of sorts. I’m not down or depressed or anything and money is coming in just fine. I’ve just felt like laying in bed and watching Netflix, hanging out with my friends, cleaning the house, running errands, pampering myself, playing with the puppies, or going to the gym.
It started in July. I went on vacation for the month which was planned. I know I wasn’t going to work much (if at all) on that trip other than writing a report for IncomeCPR.com. So, I didn’t work and I had a ton of fun. But then when I got home the end of July, I just wanted to clean the house and spend time with my kids. Which was cool. I figured that once they were back in school, I’d get back to my super productive self.
It didn’t happen that way. Instead, when the kids went back to school, I took some time to relax, thinking that I deserved it. (And, I do.)
But, then… I’d get up, head to my computer and think “Oh Good! Now that the kids are back in school, I have six full hours to work.” Six whole freaking hours! That sounded like such a lot of work. And, then, I’d crawl back into bed to watch a movie on Netflix or go read a book. 🙂
Usually when this happens, I commit myself to working 1 hour/day and just waiting it out. It’s kind of like exercise. If I commit to walking 15 minutes/day, that’s the hard part. I’ll usually end up walking for 45 minutes to an hour once I get started. It’s the starting and heading out that’s hard.
So, that’s what I’ve been doing. I get on for an hour each day, do my to do list of essentials like paying my affiliates – and then head to the gym or go on a walk and just enjoy my day.
Well, I was chatting with my good friend, Susanne Myers, and I told her that enough was enough and it was time for me to get out of this funk and get back to being super-productive. Now don’t get me wrong — I’ve already decided that that does not mean sitting on my butt for six hours per day. That’s just not what I want my days (or my butt) to look like. BUT! It does mean that I don’t get to lay in bed with the puppies and watch Netflix all day either.
So, here’s what we came up with. We’re going to post our daily to do lists for a week, and share what we’ve gotten accomplished. And, I’d love for you to do the same. I think you’ll find you’ll get a ton more done than usual. I’m planning to.
Susanne and I often challenge each other in Instant Messenger, but for the next week, will do it on our blogs so you can keep track of what we’re up to and how we spend our days.
Since it’s Friday, I’m taking it easy. This is my day so far…
1. Got up. Hey, that isn’t always easy. 🙂 Realized I was in a good mood. The Packers won! WOOT! Got the kids off to school. Fed puppies.
2. Played FreeCell a half an hour on my iPad. As long as I’m winning most games in under 3 minutes, I’m happy. Otherwise, I get crabby.
3. Ran to Best Buy to get a new MP3/MP4 player. I was using my phone as a MP3 player at the gym, but I wanted something more disposable (ie. something I can sweat on) and that held a charge longer than my phone does. While my new toy has been charging, I loaded it up with tons of stuff that I’d bought and never listened to. I’m a terrible multi-tasker at home, so I work in silence. This means that I never listen to audio or video courses unless I drag my mentors on a walk, in the bath, or to the gym with me. (Yes, I’ve taken baths with more internet marketers than I should probably admit!) 🙂 This took an hour to upload the files. It’s charging now for a trip to the gym in a little bit.
4. Connected with coaching client who wanted to celebrate a success. Cheered her on and answered her questions.
5. Played on Facebook for 5 minutes twice (total of 10 minutes).
6. Skimmed email for emergencies for 2 minutes. None so it can wait.
7. Chatted with Susanne on IM. She’s doing a PLR challenge on her blog and wanted to run it by me.
8. Susanne asked “Are you starting our Accountability Challenge or am I?” I said “I am.”
9. Melissa Ingold grabbed me on Instant Messenger to see if I had room in my promo calendar to release a new CoachingPLRContent.com package on the 15th. I said “yes”.
10. I received an invoice from a writer. Paid it.
11. Wrote this blog post up til this point.
It’s 11:38 CST now.
I’m going to head to the gym and get smart in a few minutes. When I get back, I’m going to…
1. Finish prepping four packs for EasyPLR.com so they’re done for the month.
2. Connect with my tech gal about setting up Zen Desk for me.
3. Touch base with my copywriter to make sure she’s got what she needs for this month’s sales copy.
4. Outline my report for IncomeCPR.com for this month so I can get that written.
5. Run to the grocery store and get some eggs, a rotisserie chicken, smoked salmon, and avocados.
Wish me luck! Let me know what’s on your to do list for today and how well it’s going.
As for Susanne – tell me how your day has been and what you’ve gotten done and what you’re planning for today.
PS. Be sure to swing by Susanne’s blog and see what she’s up to today, too. Affiliate Treasure Chest.
Updates are posted in comments below…